New to Precision and want some tips on getting started below are our recommended steps.
- Step 1 – Add your Clients
- Step 2 – Invite & Set Visibility
- Step 3 – Create tags & Review Lock Dates
- Step 4 – Set up Integrations
- Step 5 – Client Workflows
Steps to add clients:
- Go to Add Client
- Choose – Xero or QBO
- Select your client in your client list
- Your client will take a few minutes to update in Precision
Note: If you are adding a Xero client you can bulk upload. When you select to add a Xero client, you’ll be taken to Xero and asked to log in as usual. To bulk import, instead of selecting only one client, you can select some or all of your Xero clients by ticking the box next to each client that you want to import. You will then be automatically returned to Precision as usual.
If the number of clients selected exceeds your team bundle limit (or 30 clients, if you are in a Free Trial), you will be able to remove the clients that you don’t want to import.
To make sure the bulk import runs smoothly, the clients will be imported in batches of 5, which you will see importing in the client list.
To start collaborating and sharing the productivity Precision offers, add your team members to Precision. Set up their visibility settings under all clients they will have access to.
Steps to invite colleagues:
- Go to Team Home page
- Go to Manage Team – Team Members
- Invite your team members by email and set their Role
Note: The creator of a team will be the team owner, everyone else will be members. Only the team owner can perform team management actions like inviting a team member or adjusting billing or subscription settings.
Steps to set visibility of clients with team members:
- Go to Configuration – Client Configuration
- Under the ‘Users with visibility’ column – click edit and choose colleagues that should have visibility for each client.
You can tag clients based on differentiating factors in order to group them for your reports and workflows. You can use this to understand your client’s behaviours and businesses better. Examples on how you may want to organise your practice clients:
- GST/VAT Quarters
- End of Year only
- Monthly vs Quarterly Bookkeeping
- Non gst/vat registered clients
Follow our interactive guide in Precision to get your Client Tags set up!
Click on this link to get started.
Important: Please ensure you are logged into Precision for this link to launch correctly.
Summary of the Steps to set up Tags
- Under Team Home go to Configuration – Tags
- Create/Add your own tags – these are totally customisable by you.
- Once your tags are created, click on one and add to your clients.
Note: Set your tags to ‘Create anywhere’. Once you set 1 tag against a client you can then add more to individual clients via their Overview Page.
Review Lock Dates
Dext Precision combines knowledge of account filing information from Companies House (where available) with dates that prevent changes in data in your accounting software to help you keep your financial data stable. In Xero, these are the lock dates, and in QuickBooks Online these are the closing dates.
Lock Date History will highlight when these dates get out of sync with filing dates, and by encouraging the active maintenance of monthly reporting period closing or lock dates, you can reduce the number of data inconsistencies between your accounting software and third parties.
Go to Client Overview >Historical Activity >Lock Date History.
Lock Date Grace Period
A typical reporting cycle might be that at the end of each month, the accounting team has two weeks to prepare and submit their end of month reports to a client. Once the reports are submitted the Reporting Period Lock Date would be brought forward in Xero to restrict changes from being made in the closed period.
In Dext Precision, you can configure a team-wide grace period that indicates how long your team has to close off the month and update the lock dates in Xero.
To set a grace period go to Team Home > Configuration > Lock Dates.
HMRC MTD – Agent Account (UK Only)
Never let a filing date slip by again: If your clients are MTD-ready. Precision can connect to HMRC to pull back important information on your clients’ VAT filings, current connection status and obligations.
- Under your team account go to Configuration – Integrations
- Under Integration select HMRC (UK Only)
- Connect to HMRC
- Log in with your Agent login details
Once connected you will find the HMRC Dashboard under Practice Dashboards.
ABN Lookup Tool (Australia Only):
Precision integrates with the Australian Business Register ABN Lookup tool, to cross check a contact’s ABN. Precision will automatically highlight all missing or invalid ABN numbers in your accounting software for a client, and identify any transactions with inconsistent tax rates, saving hours of checking time for you and your team. If you use Xero, you can also push a missing ABN number identified in the ABR straight to Xero using Dext Precision.
This will only apply to GST on Expenses for Contacts with no ABN. For all other areas, Dext will provide a list and transactions for you to search manually.
When you’ve found the correct ABN and are ready to Push that to Xero
- Scroll to the right of the search page and select “Push to Xero”.
This will attach the ABN to your contact in Xero (see screenshot below). This list is what you will get for Quickbooks clients too, allowing you to view contact directly to update the ABN.
Precision integrates with Senta Practice Management Software to allow you to pull Precision health scores into Senta to display in your client lists and records. You’ll then be able to use Precision health scores in custom views, and to filter or trigger jobs in Senta.
To set up the integration, you will need to follow these steps:
- Enable the Precision integration, by going to Settings -> General Settings -> Extras to toggle on the Precision integration. This will add the “Precision Health Score” field to each clients’ “Xero” tab, and add a new “Precision” integration user.
- Generate an API key in Senta via Settings -> Users -> Integrations that Precision can use to access Senta.
- From the Team-level sidebar menu, head to Configuration -> Integrations -> Senta and populate your Senta account URL and API key in the “Connection Credentials” section.
- When you click ‘Link to Senta’, Precision will then do an initial connection to Senta and bring back any Xero-connected clients that it finds. These will be shown in a list in the “Senta Clients” section of the integration. This section contains a filter for Found in Precision | Not Found in Precision | All, so you can see any Xero clients you might be missing in Precision and add them.
Once the connection is complete, Precision Health Scores for the clients that are matched across the systems will be sent over to Senta, and refreshed on a nightly basis. You will be able to view the scores in the “Xero” tab for each client, and add a Health Score column to your client list.
Go Proposal (All Regions)
Precision integrates with GoProposal pricing software to allow you to pull Precision health scores and activity metrics into GoProposal to inform your clients’ pricing for more up-to-date data and insights than ever before.
To set up the integration, you will need to generate an API key to plug into GoProposal.
- Go to Team Home
- Your Settings
- Name your API (ie GoProposal)
- Select CREATE
- Copy the API Token
Once you have generated your API key in Precision, the majority of the setup actually takes place in GoProposal.
Log into your GoProposal account.
- Go to Settings – Integrations – Dext Precision
- Paste your API Token into the field provided
- Proceed with setting up your GoProposal settings that follow on the page
Once your integration is complete, Precision uses the information in GoProposal to help with quoting for your clients.
Dext Precision’s Workflows feature allows you to build a workflow that suits the business processes you have developed around specific accounting jobs such as Tax Returns, Monthly Bookkeeping or Year End.
These are automated, ‘Data Driven’ task lists – meaning Precision will automate the Xero/QBO data checks required for each task and surface any areas in the list that require reviewing (or giving the all-clear). Using these automated workflows benefits you and your firm. Precision does a huge amount of the work for you and your team, by crunching all of the data from Xero/QBO and surfacing key areas that need reviewing (or giving the all-clear) for a specific task in the workflow.
Get started quickly and easily with 3 workflow templates provided to you under Team Home – Workflows – Workflow Templates:
- Health Review
- Bookkeeping Flow
- VAT (UK) or GST (AUS) return Preparation Flow OR
Create your own standardised processes templates. You may want to start creating more flows for processes such as:
- Onboarding new clients
- End of Year work
Click on links below and follow our interactive guides and create custom checks, workflow templates and repeating workflows in Precision:
Important: Please ensure you are logged into Precision for these guides to launch!
We also have a way for you to manage the progress of your team in our Workflows List. This dashboard shows Workflows you have access to see at all stages of completion and even which ones have not been started yet so you can manage workload or capacity. It includes all Workflow details including the assigned team member, reviewers, reporting period, number of checks completed and total number of checks. This fast, full-coverage overview of your firm’s workload will help to track progress, standardise your team’s processes and deliver a consistent service to your clients