Dext Solo enables you to easily keep track of transaction data and meet compliance deadlines for your Income Tax Self Assessment clients.
Sign up for our on demand product training for Dext Solo here.
- What is Dext Solo?
- How to start using the Dext Solo Area
- The Dext Solo Clients Page
- Creating a Dext Solo Client Account
- Adding & Managing Income or Expenses
- The Reporting Summaries Page
Dext Solo enables you to add and categorise income and expense data for your self employed or landlord clients in the Dext Solo area.
From April 2026, if a business and/or property has a gross total of £10,000 or more businesses and landlords will need to:
- Keep records of their business’ income and expenses in a digital format.
- Submit to HMRC using an Dext Solo compatible software.
- Send quarterly updates of the income and expenses of their business.
- Finalise their business income and submit an end of period statement (EOPS) annually.
- Submit a final declaration of income annually.
- Login to your Dext Prepare Account.
- Go to the Solo section in the sidebar.
- Click Accept and continue to agree to the terms and conditions and acknowledge that you can use the solution free of charge until 30 June 2023, after which time a subscription fee will apply.
- Once done, you will land on the Dext Solo Client page.
The Dext Solo client page is where you can see a list of all of your Dext Solo clients and add additional clients.
You can add a client by clicking the + Add Client button at the top of the page.
Once you’ve added a client, the Dext Solo client page shows:
- Client name
- Practice code
- Number of Businesses a client has
- Status: The status of their response to your invitation the Dext Prepare for Dext Solo
- Actions: Edit a client’s settings by clicking the Manage button, then Edit client details.
The same user privileges that exist in Dext Prepare apply in the Dext Solo section. If you are not an Admin user you will not be able to add a Dext Solo Client account. See more on user privileges here.
Adding a Dext Solo Client Account will create a dedicated space for you to manage the income source transaction data for each Dext Solo client.
- Go to the Dext Solo space in the sidebar, then Clients.
- Click + Add client in the top left of the page.
- Enter the client’s name and email address (adding the NIN, Postcode & Practice code is optional), then click Next.
- On the next page enter the Business name.
A business is the entity for which you will collect income source documents. This entity could be a Sole Trader, Property Business, Partnership, Limited Company etc.
A client may have multiple businesses or properties, so if needed you can add additional businesses after the first entity is added.
- Select the Type of Business.
A business is the entity for which you will collect documents. There are two options:
Self employment: for a Sole Trader, Partnership, Limited Company etc.
Or UK Property: for a property businesses operating in the United Kingdom.
- Then select the Transactions Collection Method for transactions.
A transaction Collection Method is the type of documents you’ll be submitting to Dext, and will determine how you add transaction data to Dext. There are two collection method options:
- Costs/Sales: add receipts and invoices to the costs & sales workspaces through various methods, including uploading items via the desktop or mobile app and via email.
- Or Bank: add transaction data by connecting to a bank feed or uploading a bank statement. A bank feed will import historical transactions as far back as the bank will allow.
- If a client has multiple businesses or properties you can add another to their account by clicking Add another business.
- When you are finished adding a business or businesses, click Next.
- On the next page, review the email that will be sent to the client, and add the client’s mobile number if you wish to send them an invitation by text. When ready, click Invite to Dext.
- You will then see the new client account listed on the Dext Solo Client page.
Help your client get started in the Dext Solo area by sharing this getting started guide with them.
Add transaction data on behalf of your Dext Solo clients and categorise them into HMRC set codes. Categorised transactions can then be organised into reports on the reporting summaries page, in preparation for sending to HMRC.
How to Add Income & Expenses
Depending of the transaction collection method selected (costs/sales or bank) you will see several submission methods.
See this article for how to use the different submission methods to add transaction data.
The list of codes you can use to categorise transactions is preset by HMRC, and depends on the type of business selected.
You can see a list of these categories by going to List in the sidebar, then Categories.
See this article for how to categories costs & sales items or bank transactions.
Splitting a Costs or Sales Item
It may be necessary to split out line items in a costs or sales item, for example to differentiate between business and personal expenses.
See this article for how to use line items to split a transaction.
The reporting summary page is where all of the client’s data is compiled and broken down by category.
You can filter the data by date in the top left of the screen and export it by clicking Export to CSV.
In the near future, you will be able to submit these reports directly to HMRC and export reports as CSVs.
Find out more about the Summaries page here.